Some of the striking facts are:
- Access to healthcare globally is dismal amid millions of preventable deaths
- Where you have access to healthcare, it’s expensive
- Complaints of wrong diagnosis, or overtreatment are commonplace
- Physicians, hospitals and pharmaceuticals put profits before patients
- Doctors are overworked, fatigued by routines and emergency nature of their jobs and become apathetic.
- Procedures take precedence over personalized, individualized care
- Patients and their attendants feel being neglected, uninformed, dismissed
- Doctor’s empathy and patient cure are considered in either/or relationship.
Much of the above can be attributed to long, boring nature of medical education and residency spread over 16 years after high school where all-powerful faculty desensitize them.
This is where the total system redesign reform comes.